Why become a helper?
We all have skills that we use at home – you can use yours to help your community.
Give as much time as you want to. Choose when you want to help out and what you want to help out with. Any skills you have will be useful to someone!
Make a difference to the lives of local London people
Volunteering is a great opportunity to meet like-minded people, and those who want to get to know the people in their local community. Volunteering can involve all sorts of things for example, gardening, helping with social events, doing odd jobs around the house, working on community projects or just sitting with someone and having a cup of tea.
Becoming a helper in London is a rewarding and really fulfilling opportunity to meet and greet new people within our Southwark community. Old or young they are so many opportunities just to muck in and help.
Here are some reasons people choose to volunteer:
- Give something back to an organisation that’s important to you
- Make a difference to the lives of others
- Help the environment
- Be an advocate for those without a voice
- Be part of a team
- Gain confidence and self-esteem
Volunteering looks impressive on your CV and shows future employers how you use your time and skills:
- Learn new skills and knowledge
- Gain experience
- Developing existing skills and knowledge
- Improving one’s employment prospects
- Pro bono work – using one’s existing professional skills and knowledge to benefit others
Volunteering is a great way to get out there and meet people. As a volunteer you can:
- Make new friends
- Meet people from all walks of life
- Socialise in new ways
- Get to know people in your local community
There are volunteer networks you can join which will help you to find the right volunteer placement for you. Here are some links for volunteering networks in Southwark and across London:
Think the Helper role sounds perfect for you? Get in touch today